The Government of Pakistan has decided to re-launch the Prime Minister’s Youth Laptop Scheme on popular demand. Reportedly, in the spell, the government will distribute 100,000 laptops worth Rs. 10.827 billion across the country.
The Prime Minister’s Youth Laptop Scheme (Phase-III) was approved by the Central Development Working Party (CDWP) during a meeting that took place on 29th June 2022 against the cost of Rs. 8mn.
However, some sources told a local publication that the scope of the project has been enhanced, leading to an additional cost of Rs. 2.827mn.
Initially, the number of laptops was set at 74, 700 pieces but then increased to 100,000. Out of the total Rs. 10,827.28 million, Rs. 9,890mn will come from the Foreign Exchange Component whereas the remaining will be provided through PSDP. Moreover, it is reported that the cost of one laptop will be $460.
Furthermore, the publication has also reported that the CDWP approved the revised PC-I of the Prime Minister’s Youth Laptop Scheme (Phase-III).
— Shahid Hussain Soomro (@shahidsoomro) December 6, 2022
Prime Minister’s Laptop Scheme Eligibility Criteria
According to the official HEC website, the ongoing eligibility criteria are as followed:
- The applicant must have a valid CNIC/ B-Form number.
- Must be a valid student as of the closing date for the application
- Students studying in public sector Universities/ Degree Awarding Institutes duly recognized by HEC.
- Students enrolled in PhD/ MS/ MPhil or equivalent 18-year program
- Students enrolled in 1 or 2-year Masters’s degree program (morning and evening)
- A student enrolled in a 4-year or 5-year Bachelor’s degree program (morning and evening)
- Students studying as distant learners in the Virtual University of Pakistan or Allama Iqbal Open University.
- Students of degree colleges of other provinces may be covered by respective provincial arrangements (if any)Students studying for government degrees or postgraduate colleges of Federal Capital and Federally Administered Tribal Areas.
- Students’ eligibility and enrolment status as defined above shall be determined on the day of the distribution of laptops at the HEI.
- Criteria for Students enrolled in distance learning programs at VU and AIOU, and students of polytechnic institutes of Pakistan and AJK shall be defined in coordination with respective universities/ boards and will be updated accordingly.
- No laptop shall be issued to those who have availed in the past from such initiative(s) taken by the government or by the higher education institute.
The following students will NOT be eligible:
- Students of any private sector higher education institutes
- Students of any government degree & postgraduate colleges except Federal Capital and FATA
- Students who have received a laptop under any Federal or Provincial Government scheme
- Foreign nationals, except students from AJK and Indian-Occupied Kashmir
- Any other students not listed above and/ or as identified and decided by the Steering Committee.
For more please visit the HEC website.
We have yet to see when this scheme come into action.
Stay tuned to WOW360 for more news and updates.