Welcome back to another great recipe for the week!
Malpura’s can be called the desi version of Pancakes. The early arrival of Winter demands the preparation of mouth-watering treats to keep warm and to enjoy the weather with steaming mugs of tea or coffee.
Here’s a fantastic and easy for my fans straight from my cookbook.
Prep Time: 40 Mins
Cooking Time: 20 Mins
1 cup flour
½ cup semolina
¼ cup of sugar
½ tsp fennel powder
¼ tsp cardamom powder
½ cup milk or rabri
water as required, to prepare the batter
oil or ghee for deep frying
rabri for serving
hot sugar syrup
dry fruits and saffron for garnishing
Mix the flour, semolina, and sugar in a big bowl. Add the fennel powder and cardamom powder. Then add milk or rabri.
Mix well making sure there are no lumps in the batter.
Add water as required and mix well.
Make sure the batter is of a smooth pouring consistency.
Whisk the batter for at least 5 minutes.
Cover and rest the batter for 30 minutes.
Pour cookie-sized batter into hot oil or ghee.
Once the malpura’s start to float, splash oil over them.
Press gently with the help of a perforated spoon.
The malpura’s will puff up like poori.
Now fry both sides till they turn golden brown.
Drain the malpura onto a kitchen towel to remove all excess oil.
Now soak the malpura into the hot sugar syrup for 10 minutes.
Serve hot with rabri and garnished with some saffron and nuts.
- Let the Malpua batter rest for at least 6-8 hours for a better flavor.
- Use thickened milk or rabri to make rich Malpua’s.
- Additionally, use Khoya while preparing the batter instead of water or milk. It adds more flavor.
- Also, the addition of sugar to the batter is optional. It increases the sweetness of the malpura but please don’t if you have diabetes.
- If you want lip-smacking Malpuas, make the sugar syrup of 1-string consistency and not let it thicken.
- You can also add some green cardamom powder and saffron to your Malpura for more flavor.
Amna Hamid is a Digital Marketing Strategist at Amreli Steels. Her food blog Gobble wobble will be featured weekly on the weekend on WOW360 segment with a new and exciting recipe! Being an ardent foodie since childhood, Amna always wanted to have her own space on food and everything that revolves around it. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Stay tuned for more interesting articles and updates!